Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Mommy Hood

Being a mother is everything I expected and MORE. It is MUCH harder than I ever imagined though, in a good way. Mya is almost a month old, oh my!! I have been trying my darndest to get her on a semi-normal schedule. About a week ago, she was eating every 3 hours or so. It takes me about an hour to feed her, including getting her burped. She has gotten so much better at eating. She loves to eat so much, that she eats so quickly and ends up barfing it up all over herself. Her last few days of feedings have been amazing. She is getting the eating/burping routine down. Both her and I have been much happier since she has been eating better. After eating, she would play in her swing for 15mins or so, or play on her play mat for 15mins or so, and then she would fall asleep for 2 hours. She has only been waking up around 1am and 5am every day for feedings. I thought, wow, she is so young, and already on a pretty good schedule. But...the past few days, she has been off of her rocker, let me tell ya. Yesterday she only napped for about 3 hours, and she was up for a total of 12 hours. I thought for sure that she would sleep a few more hours last night. Nope. She was like clockwork. 1am and 5am. No extra sleep for mommy. She has also been wanting to eat more. When she fusses, I try everything in my power to not feed her if she has just had a feeding. But, if she doesn't take her binky, then it really means that she is hungry. Yesterday at her 5am feeding, Klay fed her 6 1/2 ounces. She usually eats 4 ounces. She still didnt go to sleep after that large feeding. As we speak, she is sleeping on my shoulder. She fell alseep burping. I am TERRIFIED to move her because I myself am exhausted and don't want her to wake up. She LOVES to fall asleep on me. I love this feeling, but I am also very aware that I dont need to let it happen all of the time. She falls alseep on me everyday, but I always put her down when I know she is in a deep sleep. I try my hardest to put her down when she is just dosing off, but what can I say, she loves to be rocked to sleep. If she isn't rocked to sleep, she starts to fuss. This is my downfall as a mommy, but hey, I am ok with this. She is only this tiny ONCE and once only. I am going to take advantage of her needing me to feel comfortable. I am feeling more confident as a mommy as each day passes, which is too fast! I just hope that I can feel more confident in getting her on a good schedule. When she has an "off" day, I worry that something is wrong, or that I am doing something wrong. But I just need to remind myself that she is barely a month old and still trying to figure out the world. Bless her heart.




2 comments:

  1. There is NOTHING wrong with rocking your little one to sleep still. Saoirse is rocked to sleep (or almost asleep) every night and sleeps better for it. I don't wish those moments away for anything in the world. Some nights, Saoirse is rocked to almost asleep and stays asleep - but that didn't happen until she was almost 5 months old. Stick with your instincts lady and you'll be fine! :) Mya is such a lucky little girl to have an awesome mama like you!

    Isn't it funny when the little ones get on a schedule and then get off it. Don't stress too much about something being wrong (I'd do well to take my own advice here, though... :)) They have "off" days just like we do.

    Love ya! Let me know if you ever have Q's...I'm always here for ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peyton has off days a lot and don't feel bad about rocking her to sleep. OMG, Peyton is rocked every night. It is those times that you will never get back so milk it. Schedules are made to be broken, so don't be hard on yourself (I need to take my own advice). You already have her on a better schedule than most people. Peyton says hi to Mya!

    ReplyDelete